[SUBW-A] Walks Report - PBT 2000

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Tue Oct 3 16:49:29 AEDT 2000

Walks Report - PBT (President's Bludge Trip), Kowmung River 30 Sept - 2
Oct 00

Party - Roger Lembit, Ashley Burke, Sally Partridge, Justin Blows,
Stephanie Cuthbert, Dave Noble

The smaller than usual group met at the campsite a short way along the
Uni Rover Trail on Boyd Plateau on the Friday night. Up early next
morning we set off along the Rover Trail for Mt Savage which we reached
shortly after lunch. It was then a short walk (a bit longer for some) to
Sombre Dome and then a steep descent to the Kowmung. On the way we
stopped to admire outstanding views, a very rare type of hakea (which
was first identified by a club member on an earlier PBT and named after
him) and some interesting fossils.

At the Kowmung/Doris Creek confluence we had a scout round for trout up
Doris Creek (unsuccessful) - so crossed the Kowmung and went a short
distance to Hatchers Hollow. This is one of the great campsites of the
Kowmung. It is a large grassy area with plenty of big trees (a few less
after the strong winds of Sunday). After setting up flys and collecting
firewood, we were able to sample Sally's  excellent avocado dip and some
fine wines.

Sunday was spent relaxing in the campsite, collecting water and making
cups of tea and jaffles. A few people with extra energy went down to the
Kowmung or up the nearby Red Cliff Creek. More wines and dip followed on
Sunday night - and Dave produced his radio enabling the party to listen
to the games closing ceremony. And we had our own fireworks (in a manner
of speaking!!).

Monday was spent climbing up onto Mt Doris and then traversing along the
scenic tops to Mt Despond, past the Wedgetail Bluffs (no more "wedgie"
jokes thanks Lou Lou), past two water saddles to reach Mt Goondel and
the Uni Rover Trail again.

On the way home we stopped for refreshments at the Halfway House pub at
Hampton (this historic pub is also known as "the beacon of the west" -
so no other people should try and claim the title) and  then the
Alexandra Hotel at Leura for chicken burgers and more beers.

So we had a very successful walk (of gold medal standard). A PBT with no
president (not even a Vice Pres), nor any trout caught. But lots of
wine, lots of jaffles and some great Kowmung country walking in fine
(though windy) weather.

Dave Noble
--
David Noble