[SUBW-A] Trip report: 15 October 2000 to Devils Hole

Greg Smith g_smith at arch.usyd.EDU.AU
Mon Oct 16 12:19:45 AEDT 2000

After some late cancellations, a party of 6 set out from the Explorers
Tree: Greg, Albert, Luke, Oliver, Lara, and Melissa.  The strong winds
made
it seem a little chilly at first but at least it wasn't raining.

After checking out the lookout near the top of the Six Foot Track, above

Nellies Glen, we took the southeast track which goes above Bonnie Doon
Falls. This track is in one of the NPA books but has only now been put
onto the Katoomba Topo map. The Black Cockatoos which had previously
been
seen here were not to be found. Perhaps they were hiding from the wind.
Certainly the way that the cliffs funneled the wind made standing on the

Therabulat Lookout feel like a wind tunnel.

After a short bit of Katoomba suburbia we arrived at the track leading
down through Devils Hole. We descended the track, under the rock which
makes the ``Hole'', and southwest along the track down to the 4WD trail
which leads to what used to be Dixons Ladder. Once we were amongst the
trees below the cliff line the conditions were very good for walking.

After inspecting the flowering Waratahs beside the trail we wandered to
the junction of the Six Foot Track for lunch. After lunch we trekked
through Nellies Glen from the valley back up to the cliff tops and our
starting point.  Overall, an enjoyable walk.