[SUBW-A] Trip Report - Canyoning - 22 Oct 00

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 22 22:32:06 AEDT 2000

Trip Report - Canyoning - 22 Oct 00

This was supposed to be two separate day trips over the weekend - but
the Saturday trip didn't happen so I went mountain biking in the Blue
Mts instead.

On Sunday - Dave Forbes, picked me up and we met up with Lars at
Strathfield. We next headed west to Blacktown to pick up Joe "The
Beacon" Li and from there we headed out to the North Richmond Bakery for
a snack. On the way up the mountains we couldn't help noticing lots of
fancy dressed scarecrows all the way up Bellbird Hill. We had forgotten
that it was the Kurmond Scarecrow Festival! We next stopped in at the
Zig Zag watching a steam locomotive doing some shunting whilst we waited
for Rik to turn up from Katoomba. A few minutes later he turned up. He
was travelling with Jodie, Felicity and Jo.

We next drove out onto the Plateau out along a set of dirt roads and
parked the cars. The eight of us then headed down into a nearby creek.
Not long after reaching it - it began to canyon out. This began with a
beaut water jump that Jodie jumped from up high whilst some more prudent
members handed over hand down. More water jumps and swims followed as
the canyon continued. We were all impressed with it. The best section
was a grand amphitheatre as it turned a corner.

Below the canyon, we climbed out up a convenient gully, crossed a ridge
and dropped into a second canyon. This was similar to the first - with
waterjumps and swims - but it was a bit narrower and had a few easy
abseils.  At the end of this canyon, at the junction of a larger creek
we went upstream a bit and stopped for lunch. It was 3:30 pm after all!
As we were all cold a large fire was lit and cups of tea and jaffles
were had.

After lunch a third canyon beckoned. This one was quick and easy and had
no swims - but it was quite dark and spectacular. It was then an easy
walk to join up with a fire road that took us back to the cars.

On the way back to town, the Sydney bound car stopped in at the
Kurrajong Hotel for a beer and burger break.

Another excellent day of canyoning. The three members of the party new
to canyoning - Joe, Jo and Lars all seemed to find the trip fun.

Dave
--
David Noble
dnoble at ozemail.com.au