[SUBW-A] Trip report: Burralow Ck and Grose River

Anthony Dunk AnthonyD at rocketmail.com
Sat Apr 6 22:33:22 AEST 2002

Party: Elizabeth, Cameron, Hisako, Siobhan, Charley, Anthony

Meeting up at the famous North Richmond bakery, we headed off to
Cabbage Tree Road and parked near the edge of the Vale of Avoca
Reserve. After a short walk up to the lookout, we set off cross-country
down to Cabbage Tree Creek where we picked up the feint foot track and
followed it down to Burralow Creek. A few leeches managed to hitch a
lift on some of us too.

We headed upstream along the beautiful Burralow Creek and had lunch on
one of the many huge flat slabs of rock by the creek. The water flow
was quite amazing after the recent rains. Curiosly, the slab we sat on
was cracked - similar to some I've seen out near Lithgow in mine
subsidence areas.

After lunch, we continued upstream past some impressive cliffs and more
flat slabs looking for a pass up onto the saddle between Burralow Creek
and the Grose. It looked impassable from below, but we had a look
anyway. Luckily, after climbing one small rock ledge there was a good
pass the rest of the way to the top.

It looked too steep on the Grose River side of the saddle to stick to
our original plan and descend, so instead we followed the nice open
ridge-top up to Patterson Hill. After that we descended the steep slope
down to the Grose/Burralow Junction.

Some of us had a swim and we practised our river crossings by wading
across to a beach where we had a cup of tea. Cameron got out his map
and found an excellent track that went straight up a pass on the
opposite side of the river.

On our way up the pass we saw a small broad-headed snake sheltering
amongst some rocks, and passed a troup of about 30 boys led by a 3
stressed-out adults.

A great walk on a nice day. Also the first walk with SUBW for Elizabeth
and Charley.

Anthony.