[SUBW-A] Trip report: Skiing, 10-11th August

Mitchell Isaacs misaacs at student.usyd.edu.au
Thu Aug 15 12:49:39 AEST 2002

The Party: Andrew Hunter & Mitchell Isaacs

The drive down to the Berridale Hilton on Friday night was problem-free,
probably because we took Andrew's car (see previous trip report).

The weather was fine & clear the next day, and very warm as well (true
T-shirt weather!)

Arriving at Munyang to a FULL CARPARK!!, we set off with about 5000
other skiiers to enjoy the snow. However, we took the trip up
Disappointment Spur and saw just one other person all day.

The snow was decidedly on the firm side, and as we neared the tops, the
wind picked up to a fairly strong gale (we later found out that the NPWS
  from later that day issued a warning against backcountry travel due to
the exceptional winds).

After passing Gungartan, we began the trip to Tin Hut, only to be
hampered by a treacherous, heavily eroded, steep, sastrugi ice slope.
The eroded ditches & gullies were up to a couple of feet deep, and made
travel very difficult, especially in the high winds. Eventually, we
decided the easiest way was to remove our skis and walk down (which
still wasn't easy). We got to Tin Hut with plenty of time to collect
water & admire the sunset.

After an evening with Leunig, we set out the next morning in very
blustery conditions. It was a fairly straightforward ski back to Munyang
via Schlink Pass & the aqueduct track, finding a couple of spots to
play. We found out that a group of Scouts had been planning on spending
the previous night at Tin Hut, luckily they never made it (though
hopefully they made it somewhere)(or at least survived the night).

By this stage, the weather was starting to close in, but this was not
deterring a few more large parties we ran into setting out.

A good trip in great country, and no rain until we were safely on our
way back to Sydney.