[SUBW-A] Trip Report -Mountain Biking/ Canyoning - 4/5 May 02

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Mon May 6 20:09:16 AEST 2002

Trip Report -Mountain Biking/ Canyoning - 4/5 May 02

Party (Sat) - Dave Noble, Dave Forbes, Rik Deveridge

On saturday morning we set off early along a rough fireroad in the
central Blue Mts to the top of the canyon we planned to do. This was
only 3 kms or so along the road. We hid the bikes in the scrub and set
off own a ridge into the creek. The creek was quite nice - although dark
and gloomy. It soon started to drop into a canyon. The first drop - we
managed to climb down via a convenient log. Then came the best drop - a
25m abseil down a waterfall into a pool. We were in a classic canyon!
Below this the canyon was darker, and the next drop appeared soon. This
abseil brought us into a major creek. We walked and waded upstream for
about 1km before climbing out to have lunch. Then it was a short walk
back to the bikes. A fast ride took us back to the car. We returned to
have a nice counter tea at the Alexandra Hotel at Leura (all meals are
about $12 and the service was really very good  :-)  )

Dave Forbes headed back to the city and that left only myself and Rik
for the Sunday trip. We had planned to do a remote canyon in the
northern Blue Mts, accessible only with a long mountain bike ride. Our
plans were upset when Rik's ute started to overheat just past the Zig
Zag turn-off. So "plan B" was decided on - we would ride from the Zig
Zag to another closer canyon. This proved to be folly! The bike ride was
very poor - the road was sandy and badly corrugated - not the best
riding conditions by any means. We did a side trip to a nearby peak -
and managed to locate an aboriginal cave that I had seen on an earlier
trip. Unfortunately we did not have maps for the canyon we hoped to
visit (I was going from memory) - and we approached the canyon from the
wrong side. This made it very difficult for us to climb into the
canyon - so we instead were satisfied with an excellent view of it from
above. Then it was back to the bikes  and another long and tedious ride
back to the Chifley Highway.

Dave

David Noble
dnoble at ozemail.com.au