[SUBW-A] Trip Report - Canyon Exploration 31/8 - 1/9/02

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Mon Sep 2 23:43:00 AEST 2002

Trip Report - Canyon Exploration 31/8 - 1/9/02

Just myself and Martin Pfeil went up to Newnes for the weekend. We left
the old town and headed up onto the tops via a creek that we hoped might
be canyon. On the way up it we surprised a large diamond python snake
basking in the sun. The creek was reasonable going but was not canyon
except for the last 50m or so before the saddle at its source.

With good views at hand we stopped for lunch and then left our main
packs and headed down into another creek to look for more canyon. A few
months earlier, Rik and others had explored this creek and had reported
a canyon section. Sure enough we found it - but not without a bit of
effort battling nasty scrub. We also explored an interesting side canyon
for a short distance until blocked by a waterfall.

We left the creek and headed back along the ridge to the packs and then
headed to a nice campsite in a defile near Mt Dawson. Daylight was
running out and we only just made it to the campsite before dark. Nearby
was camped a party of bushwalkers from the Central West.

On Sunday morning, we headed up to Mt Dawson for some fine views and
then returned back to the camp to pack up. We then headed down through a
nearby short canyon. This proved quite easy to get through and we also
met up with the westies again. They had sidled above the canyon. We
climbed out of the creek and checked out one of its tributaries. Again -
a hint of canyon - but that was all. Then we crossed a heathy ridge and
photographed some nice rock formations before entering another creek
which looked promising on the map. Unfortunately it too was not a
canyon. But it did provide a nice route back down into the major creek
and then it was a short walk down to running water and a nice grassy
lunch spot. After lunch it was a short walk back to the car. A little
rain fell - on the way - but not enough to wet us.

A pleasant weekend - but more of a bushwalk than a canyoning trip.

Dave

David Noble
dnoble at ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dnoble