[SUBW-A] Trip report: Canyoning 22/9/02

Mitchell Isaacs misaacs at student.usyd.edu.au
Mon Sep 23 09:32:00 AEST 2002

The party: Chris Dalton, Mitchell Isaacs

On an absolutely perfect spring Sunday we drove out onto the Newnes Plateau, parking near Mt Galah. We set off on foot on an old road for a few k's, admiring the warratahs as they were beginning to bloom.

After a short while, we dropped off into a pleasant gully, and continued along the creek for a little while, before our creek plunged into canyon. The canyon was large and majestic, with a few abseils, scrambles, jumps & slides, and only a few short, deepish wades. On one of the abseils, my over-zealous efforts to keep the rope out of a crack saw it jamb on another knobble of rock. After much effort was wasted on trying to retrieve the rope, out came the prussiks and up I went. Chris waited patiently, sipping hot chocolate, but fortunately it was only a short drop & it didn't take long to climb up & unjamb the rope.

We continued through the canyon, which only got better, until the end was reached for lunch. After a bit of discussion over which route out to take, we decided on a short climb with a fixed rope, leading us back into the same gully, but above the canyon section, leaving a straightforward walk back to the car, finishing at sunset. The perfect spring canyon!

Sunday's wisdom: Mountain holly & bare feet do not make happy bedfellows.