[SUBW-A] Indoor Climbing

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 14 23:22:46 AEST 2003

Hello all

I have had a few people ask recently about indoor rock climbing. At the
bottom of the walks program is a general invitation for SUBW members to
come along to the Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym (Sydney's premier climbing
gym). Over the past few years there has been an assortment of SUBW
types come along and enjoy some climbing (and also a meal or a visit to
a local pub afterwards).

The gym I go to on most Tuesday and Thursday evenings is located at
Summer Hill - not too far from the station. (the gym is moving to St
Peters in a few months - to a much bigger venue). Some other SUBW
members go to the gym on other evenings (eg Mondays). Details of its
location and prices can be found on the gym's website:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com.au/

Most climbers have their own harnesses and climbing shoes -  although
they can be hired from the gym. If you like indoor climbing then it is
a good way to improve skills needed on the more rugged bushwalks and
canyons. Also - there are a few of us in the club that do outdoor
climbing - and the trips are usually organised on the gym evenings.

For people on the campus - that are keen on climbing - then I would
suggest also joining the SU climbing club and using the "Ledge" gym.

Dave

David Noble
dnoble at ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dnoble