[SUBW-A] Trip Report - Red Rocks 24-25 May 03

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Sun May 25 21:33:17 AEST 2003

Trip Report - Red Rocks 24-25 May 03

Party - Dave Forbes, Rob Hynes, Chris Collier, Christian Peckham,
Kristen Harvey, Belinda Madin, Amanda, Dave Noble

We headed out to Newnes on Friday night - stopping briefly on the way
at Gardener's Inn at Blackheath for some refreshments. After a restful
nights sleep we awoke in the morning to gray skies - and by the time we
had finished breakfast and packed it was raining quite heavily. After
some discussion we decided to reverse the planned route - as this would
give us more options for large dry caves should we need one if the rain
continued.

So we set off up Little Capertee Creek and followed it for quite a
while until we found ourselves in a small canyon. After some fun and
games we reached a large cave - it was an ideal place for lunch - the
rain had stopped and the sun was shinning!

After lunch we soon gained the Red Rocks traverse ridge and followed it
north for the rest of the day. This involved some excellent rock
scrambling and truly outstanding views. Camp that night was had in "The
Room" - a very sheltered campsite completely surrounded by pagodas. At
nightfall a few bottles of wine and spirits were produced - and a
pleasant evening was had.

Sunday brought more mainly fine weather - and we continued along a
rugged ridge that was dissected by a series of chasms. Careful route
finding was needed. After lunch, we descended back down to the valley
by way of an amazing slot canyon.

Our trip back to the city was again broken by a stop for dinner at
Gardeners Inn once more.

A very enjoyable walk was had by all.

Dave Noble

David Noble