[SUBW-A] Trip Report - 5th June - Katoomba - Leura

Christian Peckham christianpeckham at interfleet.aust.com
Thu Jun 10 09:49:27 AEST 2004

Saturday 5th June

Party: Christian, Jackie, Lindsay

Katoomba - Fuber Steps - Federal Pass - Leura Forrest - Bridal Veil Falls -
Leura

This walk was on, then off, then on again - sorry to the two people I told
it would probably be off, I should have stuck to the original plan.  Anyway
9.02 train from Central got to Katoomba just after 11.00.  A short walk took
us to Echo Point lookout with the usual crowds (Lindsay hadn't been to the
blue mountains before).   We didn't hang around for long, descending to the
valley below via Furber steps, passing quite a few people on the way down.
The weather was clear and relatively warm in the sun, but cooler in the
shadow of the cliffs now above us.  We followed the Federal Pass around the
base of the cliffs until we reached the base of the three sisters.  A
suitable spot for lunch in the sun coming through the trees.

The Giant Stairway back up to the top of the three sisters is closed at the
moment so we continued along the Federal Pass along the valley towards Leura
forest.  This was a pleasant part of the walk as there were few other people
around.  We encountered a Lyrebird and there was lots of other unidentified
wildlife around (we could hear more than we could see!)  Leura forest is
flat open area of forest with a picnic table and benches.  Apparently the
picnic area has been here for over a century.  Just as we were leaving Leura
forest to start the climb back out the valley we past a huge group of 40 or
so people coming the other way, not sure where they were off to!

Taking the many steps back to the top of the cliffs was easy enough,
although there were a lot of them!  Even though there was not a huge torrent
of water coming down, the bridal veil waterfall was lovely with the sun low
in the sky.  We finally reached the top of the cliffs around 4.00 with the
cliffs around the valley looking great in the orange afternoon light.  We
walked for a while along the clifftops to bridal veil lookout, Tarpeian Rock
(where the rock is eroded in an interesting grooved formation) and Olympian
rock before we headed back to the road and up towards Leura station.  We
were in time to squeeze a couple of drinks in at the Alexandria hotel before
catching the 5.27 train back to Sydney.

An enjoyable day in perfect weather.

Christian Peckham
Senior Consultant
Interfleet Technology Pty Ltd
christianpeckham at interfleet.aust.com
tel: +61 (0) 2 9262 6011
fax: +61 (0) 2 9262 6077
mobile: +61 (0) 418 421 371
web: www.interfleet-technology.com
Please click on this link for details of Interfleet Technology's
email Disclaimer <http://www.interfleet-technology.com/disclaimer>.
If you require a text file containing the disclaimer, please email us at
info at interfleet.co.uk
Interfleet Technology Pty Ltd, Level 7, 333 George Street
Sydney 2000 NSW, Australia

info at interfleet.co.uk

Interfleet Technology Ltd
Registered Office: Interfleet House, Pride Parkway, Derby DE24 8HX UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1332 223000 Fax: +44 (0) 1332 223001