[SUBW-A] TRIP REPORT: HANNELS SPUR

Thomas Gleeson t.gleeson at student.usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 17 14:06:17 AEST 2007

=============================
TRIP REPORT: HANNELS SPUR
KOSCIUSZKO NP 9-12 APRIL 2007
=============================

Alicia Corbett, Megan Higgins and I had planned an adventurous route to
take in Hannel's Spur, The Geehi, Townsend Spur, Lady Northcote's Creek
and Watson's Crags Spur over five days.  We had an amazing trip,
especially me, (literally) who tripped near Moira's Flat and tore a
lateral ankle ligament on my left foot.  This injury forced us to turn
back and overshadowed much of the rest of the trip as we limped slowly
home.  Thanks to Megan, an almost doctor, and to Alicia for helping me to
make the decision to pull out.  It was one of the hardest decisions of my
bushwalking life.  As a result my recovery time will be much shorter than
it probably would have been had we have pushed on (regardless).

The walking which we did do over the four days was under bright blue skies
in daytime temperatures of around 14 degees.  At night it got down to
minus 4, which made us all glad that we had packed down jackets.  The
route from Charlotte Pass via Hedley Tarn and Blue Lake to the Wilkinson
Valley is fairly straight forward, so I will describe the start of the
Hannel's Spur section for people interested in visiting this monster
ridge.

>From Mueller's Pass, (the saddle in between Kozi and Townsend) drop down
into the Wilkinson Valley and keep to the left of Wilkinson Creek as it
heads towards a saddle between Kozi and the Abbott Range.  You will
eventually see a wooden post (not the Wilkinson ski poles) which is then
followed by some small stone cairns to a creek crossing.  This is just
upstream of the old weir built in Wilkinson Creek, so if you reach the
concrete weir and the debris without having seen any cairns or posts,
cross here and pick up the track on the other side.  The track is obvious
in some parts and indistinct in others.  You need to keep a keen lookout
for the cairns and posts as you contour up and around the southern end of
the Abbott Range and around to Byatt's Camp from where the cairns and
posts become more obvious.  Fire burnt this area out in January 2003 so
the scrub is quite overgorwn in some places.  Take care as you head down
to Moira's Flat, where you can find an NPWS sign directing you to water.

On the return route we camped at the Strzelecki Hilton and from there made
a side trip out to the Sentinel.  This peak offers an impressive view of
Carruther's Peak and Mount Townsend to the south, and of Watson's Crags to
the north.  Well worth the effort to get out there!

Thanks to Megan and Alicia for a great trip.  We will have some good photos
to show at either the next slide.

Cheers,

   -   Tom   -

Thomas Gleeson