[SUBW-A] New trip: Lunch on The Col (Mt Solitary) (03/03/2013)

Jonno Downes jonnosan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 11:27:56 AEDT 2013

*Lunch on The Col (Mt Solitary)*

Date:03/03/2013
Leader:Jonno Downes
Email:[LINK: mailto:jonnosan at gmail.com?subject=Lunch on The Col (Mt
Solitary)] jonnosan at gmail.com
Phone:0481141937
Trip website:http://subw.kseiler.de/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=95
The weather has forced me to abandon 'plan A' this weekend, but tomorrow
looks like a good day for a steep hike in the blue mountains - showers and
overcast but not a gale. The only downside is clouds will probably be
blocking the best views.

So Sophie and I are going to descend Kedumba Walls, cross the Kedumba
River, take the steep path up the Eastern point of Mt Solitary (The Col),
have lunch at the top, then back again via the ruins of the old Maxwell
homestead at Kedumba Crossing and "The Goat Track".

This is all on track (some rought tracks, some firetrails). Total distance
will be about 20KM, and vertical distance from the highest points (Kedumba
Walls and Mt Solitary) to the lowest (Kedumba River) is about 800m, and we
will be doing that twice.

A longish day, not technically challenging but will certainly require some
reasonable fitness.

Anyone wanting to join us will need to carry a rain jacket and a torch,
along with whatever food and water you will need for the day. We will be
able to pick up some water from Waterfall Creek before the final ascent
back to the cars, but the water in Kedumba River is not suitable for
drinking.

If anyone wants to take the train leaving central at 5:48, I can pick them
up at Wentworth Falls station at 7:40, otherwise we will meet at the locked
gate (aka the Bonanza Gate) at the end of Kedumba Valley Road at 8:00am.

http://subw.kseiler.de/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=95] trip