[SUBW-A] New trip: Classic Blue Mountains overnighter to Mt Solitary (11/10/2014 - 12/10/2014)

Stephen Sheehan stephensheehan at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 7 10:14:45 AEDT 2014

*Classic Blue Mountains overnighter to Mt Solitary*

Date:11/10/2014 - 12/10/2014
Leader:Stephen Sheehan
Email:[LINK: mailto:stephensheehan at yahoo.com.au?subject=Classic Blue
Mountains overnighter to Mt Solitary] stephensheehan at yahoo.com.au
website:http://subw.kseiler.de/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=372
I’d like to head up to Mt Solitary for an overnighter this
Saturday/Sunday, 11-12 October.

This is a classic Blue Mountains bushwalk heading out from Katoomba but one
that I have never done before. It is rated easy-medium and will involve
some steep ascents along a well-defined track. The reward will be a high
camp with spectacular views out across the Jamieson valley atop a mountain
that most visitors to the region will be familiar with but will have only
seen at a distance from the Three Sisters lookout.

The weather is looking good and shouldn’t be as hot as it was last
weekend.

You should have some overnight camping experience, be able to bring all of
your own gear, food and water, and be fit enough to walk all day for two
days including up the steep ascent to the summit of Mt Solitary.

You will need:

• A sleeping bag rated to 5 degrees
• A sleeping mat
• A tent (you can share this if you are coming with someone else)
• 2 x dinners
• 2 x lunches
• 1 x breakfast
• 4 litres of water
• Cooking implements/gas
• Headtorch
• First aid kit
• Everything else that I have forgotten to list here

I will bring maps.

I have indicated that we will need to carry 4 litres of water each as this
is the minimum 1 person would need for 2 days of walking, and I am not sure
of whether there will be any water up on top of Mt Solitary. There are a
couple of creek systems up there but previous notes indicate these sources
are unreliable.

I have room in my car for two more people and will be leaving from Penrith
– if you live closer to the CBD you can catch a fast mountains train out
to Penrith on Saturday morning and I will pick you up from there. Numbers
on this trip will be constrained by the availability of vehicles.

http://subw.kseiler.de/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=372] trip