[SUBW-A] New trip: Beginner canyoning, Empress Canyon (07/03/2015)

Ian Lu doupishousi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:58:18 AEDT 2015

*Beginner canyoning, Empress Canyon*

Date:07/03/2015
Leader:Ian Lu
Email:[LINK: mailto:doupishousi at gmail.com?subject=Beginner canyoning,
Empress Canyon] doupishousi at gmail.com
website:http://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=437
As promised in Oweek, I will be running a beginner canyoning on next
Saturday. We are going to one of the most popular canyon in
bluemountain---Empress Canyon, new joining members are especially welcome.
Since Empress Canyon is so popular, we need to avoid the traffic from those
commercial canyoning group between 9am-3pm, so usually we have 2 options,
either entering super early before 9am, or a bit later after 3pm, my
suggestion is if we do the afternoon section, we can totally start walking
in the Nature track around 2pm and take our time, reach the canyon entry at
around 3.
At the end of Empress there is a 30 meter waterfall, we are going to abseil
from the top, for the beginners who haven’t done abseiling before,
that’s fine, I am also going to run a abseiling course in the morning at
yellow rock, to make sure you are confident on the rope before we head the
that 30 meter waterfall drop.
This canyon is total beginner friendly, yet you will still need to know
your limit.
1. You must not scare of height ( despite the 30 meter waterfall abseil,
there is also a 3-4 meters essential jump to water pool)
2. Creek water is usually colder than tap water or beach, it will be the
best if you wear a wetsuit, if you don’t have or don’t want to spend
extra money to buy a wetsuit, put at least 3 layers of thermos. Wetsuit is
highly recommended, unless you are super confident about the cold water.
This trip requires carpooling, if you’re driving, please let me know,
I’m still deciding the number in the group, I’m happy to take 6 people
by myself, if get someone to assist me I could take a few more up to 15.
What you need to bring:
1. Wetsuit (highly recommended)
2. Some dry changing cloths
3. Lunch box and bottle of water
4. Gardening gloves
5. Sport shoes (runner is ok)
6. Some money to share the petrol cost
There are a lot of Empress canyon info online, for instance
More detail will come later once the application closed. If anyone wants to
assist please let me know.

Some information about empress
canyon:http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/track_notes/empress.htm

Abseil from Empress Fall:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwUygiW7vmI