[SUBW-A] New trip: Mt Townsend - Snowy Mountains Spring Snow Camping (23/10/2015 - 25/10/2015)

Christian Wilson christian.wilson at sydney.edu.au
Tue Oct 13 11:13:35 AEDT 2015

*Mt Townsend - Snowy Mountains Spring Snow Camping*

Date:23/10/2015 - 25/10/2015
Leader:Christian Wilson
Email:[LINK: mailto:christian.wilson at sydney.edu.au?subject=Mt Townsend -
Snowy Mountains Spring Snow Camping] christian.wilson at sydney.edu.au
website:http://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=612
I’m planning a weekend trip to Mt Townsend (2209m) in the Snowy Mountains
23-25 Oct 2015. Townsend is the Australian mainland’s second highest
peak! There is still some spring snow about so it makes for lovely alpine
style walking. We should be OK to do it in boots as the snow will be pretty
mushy. I want to camp “on mountain” Saturday night and do the summit on
Saturday or in the morning of Sunday. I haven’t been to the Cootapatamba
Hut yet so may try to make camp there. Plans may change due to the weather
conditions, so please keep this in mind.

THE PLAN :
Friday night – Drive Cooma then to a nearby Car Camp (free) overnight

Saturday – Early start, drive to Snowy Mountains. Climb summit then setup
camp later.

Sunday – Explore again in morning or do summit, and then walk back to
car. Return in afternoon to Sydney & return to city by late Sunday night.

TRANSPORT:
If you traveling in my car, I will leave Sydney Friday night 23 Oct, from
Waterfall Station on T4 Illawarra /South Coast Line at 6.15 pm, I’ll meet
you at the station, a train gets you there from Central leaving at 5pm.

I have space in my car for 3 people plus packs.
Share petrol costs. Allow about $60 max for this.

If you have your own car, we will meet at Pheasants Nest service station on
Hume Highway just south of Campbelltown.

EXPERIENCE : You MUST have some previous outdoor & camping experience to
come on this trip.
Please let me know briefly your prior experience.
I will be carrying a PLB (safety beacon) .

GEAR: Temperatures range from 0C to 18C so you will need:
Clothes for both warm and cold conditions, including a thermal layer,
waterproof jacket, hat, gloves , sunglasses, sunscreen
Tent
Warm sleeping bag (rated to -0C ) & Sleeping mat
Cooking stove
Headtorch
Waterproof hiking boots with Gaiters
Walking pole (very good for snow)