[SUBW] New trip: Latest Update: Fun Beginner's Ski Trip at Perisher (12/08/2017 - 13/08/2017)

Rebecca Hawkins rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Fri Aug 4 17:03:20 AEST 2017

*Latest Update: Fun Beginner's Ski Trip at Perisher*

Date:12/08/2017 - 13/08/2017
Leader:Rebecca Hawkins
Email:[LINK: mailto:rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au?subject=Latest Update: Fun
Beginner's Ski Trip at Perisher] rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Phone:
Trip
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1128
***We desperately need good and safe drivers to leave Sydney latest 6pm
Friday evening***

**Please note that to arrive on time, you must leave by 6pm Friday also,
when 2nd car is leaving.**

Tony Le and myself will be leading a cross country skiing weekend for
beginners.
Please also note that, if you are a beginner skier and want to go on the
later ski trip, namely "Cross Country Ski Trip - 7 Days full lodging inside
Alpine National Park, VIC for only $425", you *must* attend this trip.

We are very novice skiers, but, together, both of us have wanted to run
this fun trip for SUBW's beginners. We also desperately need to have
experienced skier members to join in this trip to help us to take care of
the beginners. So, the more experienced you are, the more we need you. We
might have to supply delicious foods just for you.

An older, experienced couple (Robyn and Rick) will be joining us from
Saturday lunchtime. They are not qualified instructors, however they are
very experienced in downhill and cross-country. The purpose of the trip is
to familiarise ourselves with cross-country skiing, for the 7 day trip,
where we will get proper instruction.

If you need to borrow any supplies, please come to gear night at 5pm
Thursday August 10th. Please sign up for this on the SUBW website. For
anyone who can't make it, we may be able to arrange another time.

Camping:
We will be at Island Bend campsite, 7 hours from Sydney, 10km from Perisher
(http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/island-bend-campground).
We will not be camping on the snow (it is above the snow line), but
temperature at the campsite will still be zero to subzero. We can camp next
to the cars, the campground is very large. There will be toilets and
barbeque facilities, but not phone reception.

Supplies. Each person will need:
A foam mat, inflating mat, doona, sleeping bag, tent, 2 beanies, 2 pairs of
gloves, and 4 pairs of woollen/thermal socks. Gortex jackets or other
breathable, waterproof, windproof outerlayer, inner layers of fleece &
chlorofibre, or thermal underwear. May need two lots of anything that would
get wet through perspiration (i.e. inner layers). Sunglasses and sunblock.
NO COTTON and no blended cotton. NO JEANS!!! Insulating, good quality
layers. No t-shirts, no cotton windcheaters. several pairs of woolly socks.
Lots of WATER!! Need to drink constantly. For beginners, have flavoured
drinks to make it easier. Difficult to be motivated to drink water in an
alpine environment.
Food: pre-cooked, high energy foods and vegetables/fruit are the best.

Gear:
Skis for Cross Country snow field, ski poles, boots, gogles, gloves,
beanies. This can be rented from Rockdale Ski shop. Prices are: Xcountry
skis=$60/day, $44/2 days, boots only $22/day, $28/2days.

Daily charge of $20ish per vehicle for national park entry. We need a few
4wd vehicles if possible.

More details after sign up.
Cheers

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1128] trip