[SUBW] New trip: Barrington Tops Weekend walk 18/20 August 2013 (18/08/2017 - 20/08/2017)

Bruce Stafford bstaffor at med.usyd.edu.au
Sun Aug 13 22:07:59 AEST 2017

*Barrington Tops Weekend walk 18/20 August 2013*

Date:18/08/2017 - 20/08/2017
Leader:Bruce Stafford
Email:[LINK: mailto:bstaffor at med.usyd.edu.au?subject=Barrington Tops
Weekend walk 18/20 August 2013] bstaffor at med.usyd.edu.au
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1139
Barrington Tops Weekend walk 18/20 August 2013.
Barrington Tops is in a World Heritage listed area north of Newcastle. It
is in the North east sub tropical rainforests of NSW.
Plan is to drive up on Friday night, camp near Allyn River, do a day walk
up the Corker Track to Carey's Peak, camp on Saturday night in Chichester
State Forest, and then a leisurely return back to Sydney on Sunday (lunch
at Dungog). This will involve car-camping so there is no need to lug a tent
and other stuff up the rather steep Corker track, but you will need a tent,
sleeping bag etc of course for the camping nights. also food for Saturday
and also Sunday morning (Sunday Lunch can be bought at Dungog).
Both campsites are near water, and have basic toilets.

You will need a day pack. The Corker track rises up 900m over 10km, but
should be OK for fit beginners. Previous overnight camping experience in
Australia is not required. You will need usual camping stuff - ask me if
you are not sure what to bring. You may be able to borrow some equipment
from the SUBW Gear Officer provided you giver her enough notice. And warm
clothes too, in case it snows at Carey's Peak (1550m Altitude) which is
actually possible.

As this is a World Heritage Area, I can only take up to 8 people, and even
that depends on someone bringing a second car apart from mine. So please:
-advise if you can bring a car.
AND, only put your name down if you SERIOUSLY intend to come. Being a "no
show" for a weekend walk with limited places will get you into deep do-do!
That also applies if you suddenly find an unfinished assignment due the
next Monday, and tell me at the last minute you can't come. So plan ahead!
I will give some preference to people who haven't camped out in Australia
before.
Full details of meeting places etc once you sign on. I can advise you that
you would need to leave Sydney by about 7pm Friday night.

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1139] trip