[SUBW] New trip: 3rd/FINAL 2017 Beginner's Ski Trip (09/09/2017 - 10/09/2017)

Rebecca Hawkins rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 15:43:23 AEST 2017

*3rd/FINAL 2017 Beginner's Ski Trip*

Date:09/09/2017 - 10/09/2017
Leader:Rebecca Hawkins
Email:[LINK: mailto:rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au?subject=3rd/FINAL 2017
Beginner's Ski Trip] rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1149
***As last time, we desperately need as many experienced helping hands as
possible to create a fun, exciting educational safe learning ski trip to
all SUBW's members.***

***If you have a driver's licence (and especially any car - 2WD/4WD) we
also need you***

***please, still sign up even if you are not sure that you may make it.
Write to us as much about yourself as possible, and we will sort the
specifics out later***

This is the 3rd and final cross country skiing (XC) weekend for beginners
that I will be leading this year, along with Tony Le. (If you have any
questions and can't reach me, please contact Tony on: 0404866406, or at
llt14 at live.com).

We ran the first trip August 12th-13th, and even though neither of us had
skied before, we learnt a lot and had so so much fun. We are also running a
2nd trip on the 2nd and 3rd of September. Please keep an eye out for the
upcoming trip reports, to find out more about our experience. In the
meantime, this is what XC looks like:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cross+country+skiing&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie48_a093VAhWJgbwKHak-DWgQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974.

On the first trip, we were lucky enough have the generous helping hands of
Robyn, Rick and especially Adrian. We benefited greatly from their vast
experience, knowledge and skills - they were absolutely critical to the
enjoyment and growth of our learning experience!

These weekend trips are in preparation for the 7-Day ski trip in 2018,
which, for the CRAZY cheap price of $425, includes unique historical
accommodation, bus transportation, foods and unlimited ski tow. (See:
https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetails.php?tripid=1113). If you think
you might like to join that trip, you should start learning xc skiing with
us now.

Furthermore, as we are a bushwalking club, Tony Le and myself plan to lead
an alpine hiking trip later in Spring/Summer after all the snow have been
melted away, to appreciate the transformation of mother nature.

Camping will again be at Island Bend campsite, 7 hours from Sydney, 10km
from Perisher. Australia's iconic Snowy River (from the poem, 'The Man from
Snowy River') runs through Island Bend, so if the weather is good, we will
camp on the banks of the river, and have a campfire. If there would be no
rain and winds of less than 40km/h, it would be a very good spot for
campfires and other normal camping activities. We will not be camping on
the snow (it is below the snow line), but temperature at the campsite will
still be ZERO to subzero. We can camp next to the cars, and there will be
toilets, but no showers and little phone reception. Island Bend is near the
top of the mountain ranges with sheltered locations. But weather can change
very quickly: **If it is windy, as on last Saturday, it is NOT possible to
cook food outside, so you MUST bring food that's PRE-cooked or doesn't need
to be cooked.**

Most supplies you can either borrow or rent. With ski rental, travel costs,
buying food and borrowing camping gear, most people spent $150-200 for the
ENTIRE trip. This is VERY cheap to ski for a weekend, and is nothing
compared to downhill, where JUST the ski lift costs $120+ PER DAY.

With XC skiing, you do not have to use the ski lifts, and it is far more
interesting, in our experience. You use your legs' power and skiing skills
to go up and down hills. XC involves fun creative problem-solving, and
we're there to practice, so don't worry about looking silly in the process.
It is the best way to workout with full of very healthy fresh crispy
mountain air nested among stunning snowy landscape under clear blue
magnificent sky. Standing up the top of a snow-covered hill you've just
climbed, with no-one in sight, just strikingly beautiful trees and white
pristine snow, is like paradise on earth.

Transport: Depending on how many drivers we get, there will be cars
departing in the morning, afternoon and evening on FRIDAY September 8th.
The last car will leave Rockdale at 6PM. This is so we can start skiing at
7am on Saturday. Please let us know the absolute EARLIEST you can leave on
Friday. We will be departing Perisher at 3pm Sunday, arriving back in
Sydney around 10pm.

More details after sign up.

Cheers,

Rebecca Hawkins