[SUBW] New trip: President's Bludge Trip 2017 (PBT) (30/09/2017 - 02/10/2017)

Rebecca Hawkins rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Mon Aug 28 10:44:37 AEST 2017

*President's Bludge Trip 2017 (PBT)*

Date:30/09/2017 - 02/10/2017
Leader:Rebecca Hawkins
Email:[LINK: mailto:rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au?subject=President's Bludge
Trip 2017 (PBT)] rhaw1918 at uni.sydney.edu.au
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1152
The 'President’s Bludge Trip' (PBT) is a 3 day walk on the October long
weekend that has been a SUBW tradition since the 1970s. As President, I am
organising this trip with Ashley Eylenberg.

As in previous years, the walk will be a 3 day walk to the Kowmung River in
the Kanangra Boyd National Park. There will be lots of walking, long
evenings by the camp fire, superb riverside campsites, a relaxed middle day
with long breakfasts and lunches, and maybe a hit of volleyball.

Many participants dress up for this trip, and this is encouraged. Being an
auspicious occasion on the SUBW calendar, it is appropriate to present
yourself on the PBT looking dapper. You would not look out of place on this
trip wearing a top hat and tails for the men, or a formal dress for the
ladies. Check the links to photos below for how some people have dressed on
past PBTs. Bear in mind that your clothing will be subjected to the usual
wear and tear expected from 3 days in the Australian bush!

The dates of the walk are Saturday 30th Sept to Monday 2nd Oct. Monday 2nd
Oct is a public holiday in NSW. The overall itinerary is:

Friday 29th September (evening): We will drive to Kanangra Boyd National
Park in the evening and camp on the Boyd plateau. This is about a 3-hour
drive from Sydney. If you can’t make a Friday evening departure it might
be possible to come up early on Saturday morning, although to do this a
very early start from Sydney would be necessary. Better to come on Friday
night.

Saturday 30th September: Walk to the Kowmung River. This will take most of
the day. Upon reaching the river we will setup camp.

Sunday 1st October: After a leisurely breakfast we will move the camp
downstream or upstream to our next campsite. About 4 hours of walking is to
be expected. That leaves the rest of the day for swimming, volleyball,
hanging around the campfire, and long lunches.

Monday 2nd October: A long climb out of the valley and along the ridges
back to Kanangra. Drive home to Sydney after an obligatory stop at the
Hampton Half Way House.

DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: Whilst we encourage all members new and old to come
on this trip, it is NOT to be underestimated for those without previous
multiday bushwalking experience. You will need to come self-sufficient with
gear and food for the 3 days, your pack would weigh around 14kg. The first
day and the last day involve FULL days of walking with about 1000m in
altitude loss or gain during the course of the day, over a distance of at
least 10km. Please contact me if you are in any doubt about your
suitability for the walk and if you are a new member, please inform me
about your level of fitness and experience when you apply for the trip.
Full details will be sent to everyone over coming weeks.

For photos of PBT 2015 go here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/PBT2015/index.htm

For a list of what you need to bring on this trip go here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/WhatToBring/EquipmentListPBT.htm

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1152] trip