[SUBW] New trip: Whirlpool Canyon (10/12/2017)

Tim Vollmer tim.vollmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:00:36 AEDT 2017

*Whirlpool Canyon*

Date:10/12/2017
Leader:Tim Vollmer
Email:[LINK: mailto:tim.vollmer at gmail.com?subject=Whirlpool Canyon]
tim.vollmer at gmail.com
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1217
G'day all,

Bron and I have decided to explore Whirlpool Canyon this weekend. It's one
of the least visited of the Wollangambe canyons involving a reasonably long
day with a lot more walking than most canyons around there (including a lot
of ups and downs).

The canyon itself is meant to be quite nice, but it also means we get to
visit a section of the upper Wollangambe Canyon on the way out, so two
canyons for the price of one.

This trip is not suitable for beginners. You need to have a reasonable
amount of canyoning under your belt and good fitness. There will also be a
fair bit of swimming involved. You'll also need to arrange your own gear.
We intend to play around with some ghosting / retrievable anchor techniques
that we picked up in the US, so being comfortable with interesting anchors
and single rope abseiling is a must.

T2

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1217] trip