[SUBW] Trip Report: Morong Deep

Steven Kassar citationx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:10:17 AEDT 2017

Participants: Katy, Emily, Steven

We met in Blackheath at a respectable Thursday morning hour and piled into
the one car for the drive to Kanangra-Boyd NP.
Despite the top temps forecast of 26 degrees, simply walking in the sun was
enough to make this temp pale in comparison, and before long we were
sweating on the hour walk down to the Kowmung. We ate lunch at the first
swimmable spot not long after hitting the Kowmung... and swam!
We then made good time bouldering hopping and scrubbing our way down to
near the junction of Tuglow Hole Creek, where we blew up our tyres which
I'd managed to score from clark rubber on Wednesday aftenroon for the start
of the floating. Between deep sections we had to carry the tyres but for
the most part this wasn't a problem. Night one was spent close to Morong
Falls (dubbed "morong trickle" as there wasn't that much water coming
down), replete with jumping jack ants, bullants and a couple of ticks to
boot!
Friday morning was misty and cool, but it wasn't long walking before we
were feeling the radiant heat and the water beckoned. We took a little
while negotiating the two larger drops of morong deep, and when coupled
with a good stints of wild blackberry eating, we had barely moved 2km
before lunchtime was upon us. The heat took its toll as we floated and
carried out tyres down the river, slower and slower, negotiating thicker
scrubby sections and smaller boulders. Finally we decided that the inflated
tyres were more a hindrance than a help, and we deflated them and stuck to
walking. By 5pm we realised we were probably too far to make Howling Dingo
Camp, and we felt dejected returning to an earlier beach campsite.
We had a quick discussion about the merits of another day of walking or
floating down the river in possible rain and thunderstorms, and decided we
would brave a path up Booral Ladder and out a day early instead. We broke
camp early on Saturday, when the cool breeze was still blowing, and scooted
up Booral Ladder in less than two hours, continuing on to have lunch at
another waterfall on the plateau.
The final walk back to the car was hot but we didn't swim in the end,
instead taking up prime position at the Kanangra Walls lookout around
5:30pm. Just before dinner time, close to sunset, on a weekend, almost a
long weekend, at the number one lookout in Kanangra-Boyd NP, a number of us
got brow beaten as a film crew tried filming the last scene of their film...
Sunday we had a leisurely trip back down the big hill after breakfast #2 at
altitude cafe, avoiding any major traffic snarls.
A great weekend filled with fun and food, thanks to the participants.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenkassar/albums/72157678179381450