[SUBW] New trip: Red Rocks, Wolgan Valley, 2 day walk (14/07/2017 - 17/07/2017)

Ashley Burke ashley.eylenburg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 20:32:19 AEST 2017

*Red Rocks, Wolgan Valley, 2 day walk*

Date:14/07/2017 - 17/07/2017
Leader:Ashley Burke
Email:[LINK: mailto:ashley.eylenburg at gmail.com?subject=Red Rocks, Wolgan
Valley, 2 day walk] ashley.eylenburg at gmail.com
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1105
The "Red Rocks" is the name given to the escarpment of sandstone cliffs and
pagodas which separate the Wolgan Valley from the Capertee Valley. These
two valleys in the Wollemi National Park north of Lithgow are two of the
greatest valleys in the greater Blue Mountains world heritage area.

The walk we will do in this area will be done over 2 days. We will depart
Sydney on Friday evening 14 July and will return on Sunday afternoon 17
July. On the Saturday night we will camp in a high spot with superb views
over the Capertee Valley and surrounding cliffs.

Below are links to photos of a few past trips that I have done in this
area:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/RedRocks20160730-31/index.htm
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/RedRocks20150919-20/index.htm

The trip starts and ends at Newnes, which is about 3 hours drive from
Sydney.

Please be aware of the following:

You will need to carry all your food and equipment for the weekend as well
as sufficient water. There are not many places to replenish water supplies
en route. Consequently your pack will most likely weigh 12 or more kilos.

The terrain is steep and rocky in places. To gain the heights of the Red
Rocks some steep climbing is required. Most of the time there is no walking
track and at times there is scrub to push through.

The trip is open to fit walkers who are able to carry an overnight pack and
who are capable of walking in rough steep terrain. When signing up for the
trip, please advise regarding your fitness and experience level. Some
equipment such as packs, tents and sleeping bags may be borrowed from the
club. More information will be provided once you sign up.

Space on this trip is limited so please only sign up if you are committed
to coming on the trip.

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1105] trip