[SUBW] New trip: Kosciuszko National Park - Main Range track (17/11/2017 - 20/11/2017)

Yuxiao (Natalie) Wang yuxiao.w at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 21:46:11 AEDT 2017

*Kosciuszko National Park - Main Range track*

Date:17/11/2017 - 20/11/2017
Leader:Yuxiao (Natalie) Wang
Email:[LINK: mailto:yuxiao.w at hotmail.com?subject=Kosciuszko National Park -
Main Range track] yuxiao.w at hotmail.com
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1198
I’m planning a trip to the Kosciusko national Park from 17 to 20
November.
Plan is to leave Sydney on Friday late morning or early afternoon and
return on Monday, 6 hours drive each way. That leaves 2 days for actual
walking. I’d like to do the main range track which takes in both Mt
Kosciusko and Mt Townsend, the two highest peaks in mainland Australia. It
will be mostly on track walking with occasional rough bits. There are a few
options depending on the weather:
Option 1: if the weather is perfectly calm and warm enough, we can camp at
the saddle near Mt Townsend, which has spectacular views, but this campsite
is extremely exposed and can get super windy. No water at this campsite.
Some camping restrictions apply.
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/kosciuszko-np-south/main-range-track-loop-from-charlotte-pass-camping-near-mt-townsend.html
Option 2: if the weather is not perfect but good enough, we can camp at
Wilkensons creek half way between Mt Kosciusko and Mt Townsend. This
appears to be a somewhat more sheltered campsite and has access to water.
Option 3: If the weather is not in favour of high altitude camping, we will
stay low and do day trips from Charlotte pass, Thredbo, Perisher or
Guthega.
Option 4: If the weather is absolute terrible we may opt for a lazy and
cozy weekend at home.
My car is small and can only take 3 people (including myself) with packs.
If there is another driver willing to do the 6 hour drive we may be able to
take more people but the group size will still be strictly limited.
You need previous overnight walking experience to join this trip. The
weather can be unpredictable and harsh on the alpine (it just snowed this
weekend!) be prepared and take enough warm gear. If you need to borrow
anything please contact the gear officer.

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1198] trip