[SUBW] New trip: Beginner canyoning weekend (28/10/2017 - 29/10/2017)

Konstantin Seiler list at kseiler.de
Mon Oct 9 20:25:16 AEDT 2017

*Beginner canyoning weekend*

Date:28/10/2017 - 29/10/2017
Leader:Konstantin Seiler
Email:[LINK: mailto:list at kseiler.de?subject=Beginner canyoning weekend]
list at kseiler.de
website:https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1177
Ankit and I will run a beginner canyoning weekend at the end of this month.
We will be operating on and near Newnes Plateau and teach abseiling skills
and do some canyons.

If you are experienced already: we could still use another 1-2 experienced
people to come along and assist with instructing people.

The goal of this trip is to introduce beginners to canyoning and teach
skills that are useful future canyoning trips. Thus, we'll spend most of
Saturday practising rope skills such as abseiling and prusiking (going up
on a rope) before we do a short canyon in the afternoon. Afterwards we will
drive to our campsite and set of camp near the cars for the night.

On Sunday, we will do a longer canyon which is expected to take the full
day before we drive back to the city.

While this is a beginners canyoning trip, it certainly isn't a beginners
bushwalking trip. We will have long days with quite a bit of walking
through rough terrain, including some rock scrambles and decent uphills to
get back to the top. Thus, you must have good fitness and prior bushwalking
experience.

We haven't finally decided on which canyons we'll do, but we'll most likely
do wet canyons which means you must be able to swim.

While the club has most of the required abseiling gear, there are some
personal items which you must get yourself such as gloves ($5) and prusiks
($10-15) as well as thermals (or a wetsuit).

Numbers on this trip will be limited. If the trip fills up very quickly,
we'll give some preference to active members of the club.

https://www.subw.org.au/members/tripDetailsPublic.php?tripid=1177] trip