[SUBW] Trip Report - Killcare Beach-Maitland Bay-Mt Bouddi, 17th October 2017

Bruce Stafford bstaffor at med.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 22:52:28 AEDT 2017

SUBW Trip Report - Killcare Beach-Maitland Bay-Mt Bouddi, 17th October 2017.

Party: Ning, Cathie, Xiaoxia, Zhong, Zi Hui, Mingxin, Bruce (leading).

With two withdrawals (one for family reasons, one for eating "off"
food the day before (!)), we started off from Woy Woy with 7 people
for this walk.

Originally planned as a loop walk due to (at first) having only one
car available, Zhong's car made it theoretically to do a car shuffle
with a one-way walk. I decided however to keep to the original plan.
This turned out to be very beneficial at the end.

Despite an earlier weather forecast of possible showers, the weather
was good during the walk, and got overcast only at the end.

We arrived at Killcare Beach, parked the cars, and then set off north
along the length of Killcare Beach, which becomes Putty Beach at its
north end. Then the track along the cliff tops to Bullimah Beach, and
then the Bouddi Coastal Track to Maitland Bay.

The nice thing about the entire walk is that (except for the beaches)
the walk is done under shady trees for much of the way. This makes it
a suitable walk even in summer.

About 500 metres before Maitland Bay there is a track junction with
the Maitland Bay Beach access track. Here we turned right to go to the
beach at Maitland Bay, where we had a morning tea break. Zi Hui and
Mingxin amused themselves by posing against the unusual colourful rock
formations and drawing a chook in the sand (see photos).
There was a high tide which completely covered the rock platform at the north
end of the beach, so a rock-hopping side trip there was not possible this day.
Then we continued along the Coastal Track until there is a junction
with the track to Mt Bouddi. We took that track and continued up and
up (the steepest climb of the walk) through heath land, and then it
levelled out to go through shady woodland.

Eventually we reached the summit of Mt Bouddi and found there a nice
shady rock platform on which to have lunch. It also had nice views of
the sea. Noted some Sydney Rock Lilies (also called Rock Orchids)
clinging to the rocks there.
The whole area around Mt Bouddi has fairly lush  vegetation and a
different "feel" to the coastal areas in the Royal National Park - a
bit more "tropical".

After lunch we continued to the Dingledei Picnic Area which has
welcome loos, and a water source (although not recommended for
drinking as it is from a tank - and the water level was low after the
recent 2 months without rain). Up in a tree a raven pulled strips of
bark off a branch, showering the bits down on Cathie, while calling
out aaaarrrkkk, aaaarrrkkk.
Someone commented that in China ravens are considered unlucky -
interesting in that the Tower of London considers it unlucky NOT to
have ravens.

At this stage I commented that we hadn't seen any animals - that was
soon to change in a big way.
 From Dingledei Picnic Area it is a 400 metres or so road bash to the
start of Strom's Trail, which is also shared by bicycles. This track
more or less parallels The Scenic Road, which is always out of sight
(but not sound), and ends at the Maitland Bay information centre. It
is about 2.5km long. It runs level through open woodland with Cabbage
Tree Palms and Grass Trees, and shaded most of the way. Quite a
pleasant walk.

At the end of Strom's Trail is the start of the track down to Maitland
Bay. We went down this track until its junction with the Coastal
Track, and here we rejoined that track where we had left it on the
outward section to Maitland Bay Beach. This was the only section we
covered twice.

So it was back along the Coast Track south, until we had a rest at the
lookout near the headland of Bullimah Beach.
We looked out to sea, wondering if there might be whales out there,
but not really expecting to see anything. Suddenly, one was spotted
breaching a long way out! Then another two (probably a pair) somewhat
closer in, and then a fourth. We spent some time here  watching the
whales, and were rewarded even further by spotting a pod of 5 or 6
Dolphins quite close inshore. These fast-moving animals moved quickly
round the headland so were soon lost to sight.

After the whale watching we continued along the track back to Putty
Beach, which passes more unusual rock patterns. We saw a turkey
scratching up leaves to build up his nest. Then we continued along the
length of the beach to the cars. By this time it was getting quite
cloudy and the blue sky had vanished. It looked like the forecast of
late rain might happen.

As it turned out, there was no rain except for a light shower when
driving back to Woy Woy. We opted for a coffee there - Cathie hoped
that the shop she went to on Ashwin's walk would still be open but it
wasn't. So we ended up at Woy Woy Maccas (with a delay in Zhong
getting there as his GPS directed him to the Deepwater Plaza car park
instead!).

After that we put people on the trains back to Sydney.
It was a very nice walk with the unexpected bonus of seeing whales. I
had not expected that as it is a bit late in the whale season.
Had I converted the walk to a one-way walk to MacMasters Beach, we
would have missed the whales.

No "no-shows" either.

My photo link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brstafford/albums/72157661850445538