[SUBW] SUBW Long Gully Canyon Trip Report Sunday 3rd September 2017

Andrew Walker lordawalker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 20:27:36 AEST 2017

Long Gully Trip Report Sunday 3rd September 2017

Party: Marc, Andrew (Trip Leader), Eve, Ankit, Rebecca

An early start was needed to do long gully so I proposed a relatively early
meeting time to be at Hungry Jacks Marulan. I carpooled with Marc at the
Bunnings crossroads carpark with Marc driving his Subaru forester.

We then drove down to meet the rest of the group at the Southern bound
Hungry Jacks in Marulan. Eve got a lift with myself and marc in his car
from hungry jacks and Ankit with Rebecca followed us out to the start of
the firetrail.

Upon arriving at the beginning of the firetrail for long gully Ankit left
his car and everyone jumped in the forester for the short drive to the
trestle carpark. At the carpark we donned our packs and sorted out how many
ropes we were taking which were 4 ropes in total for safety reasons plus
two UHF handheld radios and our own personal outdoor gear.

We then set off down the firetrail to where the trail crosses over long
gully. Ankit had a smaller pack that couldn’t fit the rope so I showed him
how to make a rope backpack which made it easier for him to carry the rope.
It was about half an hour to 40minutes of walking down the dry creek that
is the upper reaches of long gully till we reached the first abseil.

Upon arriving Eve found a petzl shunt, prussic and some carabiners that
someone had left at the top of the abseil near the sling that is on the
chockstone. She has the items with her and has posted on ozcanyons on
facebook hoping for the owner to come forth. Just incase anyone in SUBW
knows the owner just let me know and I’ll pass the message on.

Marc set up the abseil for the first drop with my 9mm 40m static which is a
relatively easy abseil just a bit slippery in places where the water is
flowing over some patches of granite. Not far along is the second and main
abseil of 56m. It was quite a windy day so care was needed for the rope to
be setup. Luckily for us the direction the wind was blowing was favourable
by pushing us into the cliff and not over the large drop.

Marc used his rope as a safety line to safely setup the two 60m ropes for
the abseil. I got both ends and tied them together with a double
fisherman’s bend knot. Then Eve and Ankit wanted to have ago tying their
own double fisherman’s knot. In the end we had a solid knot for joining the
two ropes together. Once the main line was setup Marc made an isolation
loop with a double alpine butterfly tied back into the focal point. The
point of this is to make it safer for the first person to abseil down. Once
everyone was down I untied the knot and made my way down.

There are loose rocks in Long Gully canyon and I was at the top of the main
abseil watching the wind knock the rocks down below from a cliff opposite
from me. The group was safe in a sheltered area whilst bottom belaying. We
used the UHF hand held radios to communicate to each other with the main
drop being as high as it is and on a windy we would have trouble hearing
each other.

The abseils after the main one vary in size from 5 metres to 25 metres with
some down climbs along the way.

We used the 40m for some of the shorter drops that are literally next to
each other by simple doing the pull down from the previous abseil and
immediately setting up the next one at the same time.

We stayed dry by avoiding the small pools of water in the canyon by down
climbing around them.

After we finished all the abseils we stopped at a flat rock outcrop
overlooking the Shoalhaven river for a quick lunch. Ankit decided to go for
a quick dip in the water before deciding it was slightly cold so jumped
back out again. There were some ominous clouds lurking over us so we
quickly packed with the clouds only bring a very brief shower of some very
light spitting rain for a few seconds.

It is an easy walk passing through small river boulders and nice grassy
campsites on the the way to the bottom of the trestle track. The climb up
the trestle track and walk along the firetrail back to the cars didn’t take
as long as I predicted. From the lunch spot to the cars would of taken less
than one and half hours.

Once back at the cars we dropped Eve off at the Northern bound Hungry Jacks
and rest of us went and got some Chinese at Marulan and took it to the
Marulan Pub to have dinner. Their bistro was closed so we decided to bring
it back to the pub pay for some beverages and they let us use the dining

After dinner we bid our farewells and departed for home

 Eve's Photos:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.subw.org.au/pipermail/subw/attachments/20170910/d58adc7f/attachment.html>

More information about the SUBW mailing list