[SUBW] Trip report: Last Minute Canyoning, Bowens Ck Nth (Lower) 23 Sep 2017

Mitchell Isaacs mitch at outdoorgenius.com
Mon Sep 25 21:59:23 AEST 2017

Party: Yuxiao (Natalie) Wang, Chantal Bronkhorst, Mitchell Isaacs

Photos (courtesy Chantal) here: http://bit.ly/2y1ZRWb

As the weather forecast in Sydney and surrounds was in the mid thirties, we
thought it would be a good idea to head to a wet canyon, even if it was
still pretty early in the season.

We gave Alex Allchin (President, Bushwalking NSW) a ride out to Mt Wilson
where he set off into the bush for a solo 11 day walk (he's got a tracker
with him and I understand he's currently on a ridge over Nayook Creek),
before we had a brief discussion and settled on our canyon for the day.

While the air was warming up, we descended nervously into the depths of the
valley, wondering just how cold the water was going to be.

At the first drop we got dressed up in all our warm gear before plunging
into the frigid water - quite painful for any exposed skin!

We made good time through the canyon with a couple of abseils, some
swimming and plenty of clambering over rocks and logs, and eventually
emerged into a small patch of sunlight at the junction with the South
branch for an early lunch just before noon.

The walk out was uneventful, and the trip was a nice (if cold!) way to
start the canyoning pre-season.

Mitchell